Hello! Welcome to my little piece of the interwebs. I'm glad you stopped by! My page is currently under construction. A work in progress, shall we say. So please excuse the mess. :)

Please let me know you were here by leaving a comment. That way I can return the visit! And if you'd like to grab my blog button, scroll down to the bottom of the page.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Successful surgery

We are home! 

Actually we were home yesterday ... but exhausted.  You don't get any sleep in a hospital.  :)

Keira had to be at the hospital at 11:45 a.m. on Monday.  Her surgery started around 3:00 - a couple hours later than we expected.  But it all went very smoothly, which is the important thing. 

I went into the OR with her until she was asleep, which was within a matter of minutes.  I had on a lovely white suit (think HAZMAT), a hair net and a mask.  I truly don't know how the doctors and nurses can wear those things.  I can't breathe with something over my face.  Ugh!  Thankfully it was only for a few minutes.

The nurses showed me to the surgical waiting room where I sat with a bunch of other anxious family members who were waiting for word about their children.  I was not anxious.  God must have given me His peace because I was fine.  Trusting that He had everything under control.  That is an awesome feeling.

My mom surprised me and showed up to wait with me after she got off work (thanks again, Mom!).  Keira's surgery lasted just over an hour.   The surgeon came in to tell me everything went well, she had some scar tissue from when her appendix burst which he fully expected, so he removed it along with her appendix.

Shortly after, we were ushered back to recovery, then up to her room for her overnight stay.  She just wanted to sleep so my mom and I went to check in at the front desk and grab a bite.  Keira wasn't allowed to eat anything (just clear liquids) so we didn't want to eat in her room.  The nurses there are awesome!  We let her nurse know we were leaving and she said she'd check in on her more often knowing we weren't there.

Once she was awake enough, she watched a couple movies and drank her clear liquids.  She really wanted to eat, but she couldn't have anything until breakfast the next day.

As I said already, we didn't get much sleep.  She was up until midnight ... I guess because of all the sleep she got during the day she wasn't tired.  I tried to go to sleep just after 11:00, but her nurse, Amy, came in to give her meds and check on things every so often.  So sleep only happened in small chunks.

The resident surgeons made their rounds bright and early Tuesday - around 7:00 - and said that everything looked good and we could go home as long as she could eat breakfast and keep it down.  She couldn't wait for me to order her some food!  It didn't come fast enough for her!

Around 10:00 Keira's surgeon checked in on her and told us he'd start the release process so we could go home.  Yay!

We didn't get out of there until noon, because, well, it is a hospital, and their time schedule is a bit slower than ours, but we were still glad to be going.

Happy to be home ... even with all the noise and the chaos.  :)


Jenn said...

Praying for a full and peaceful recover. Love you all, Jenn

Melissa said...

Glad it all went well. & that she finally got to EAT, poor thing! ;)

Laura said...

Glad it went well! Hospital time sucks!

Jenn said...

After all you have been through you deserve to come visit!

皮膚 said...

I do like ur article~!!! ........................................