Hello! Welcome to my little piece of the interwebs. I'm glad you stopped by! My page is currently under construction. A work in progress, shall we say. So please excuse the mess. :)

Please let me know you were here by leaving a comment. That way I can return the visit! And if you'd like to grab my blog button, scroll down to the bottom of the page.

Friday, July 6, 2012

Deja vu all over again, part 3

Our great hospital adventure continues.  If you missed parts one and two, click on the links to get caught up.

So I left off with us waiting for surgery.

We were told Alex's surgery would be around noon.  His surgeon came to visit him at 10:00 and said that an emergency came in and his surgery would be a little later.  We said a prayer for the emergency and continued to wait.  We probably watched Puss 'n Boots on the free movie channel.  :)

At 12:35 it was time to go, so we weren't too far behind schedule.  I got to go with Alex into the prep area where they explained everything.  The anesthesiologist was great.  She was this short little woman with her glasses on the end of her nose.  I loved her immediately.  She asked if Alex had any questions and he wanted to know why his appendix got mad at him.  So sweet!  She said that she really didn't know why appendixes sometimes get mad, but when they do, it is best to get them out.  

They gave him something to make him sleepy and I said my goodbyes and went to the family waiting room.  It wasn't too busy since it was a Sunday.  Just a few other people there.  I sat and read until a woman came in and was talking on the phone near me.  I couldn't help but overhear her conversation about her 12-day-old grandson, Levi, who had gone into cardiac arrest that morning and was now on complete life support.

As I listened, I prayed.  And prayed.  And prayed.  I cannot imagine going through what Levi's family must be going through.  A mad appendix is nothing compared to that.

Once she hung up, I told her I would pray for her grandson and the family.  We talked for a few minutes.  I told her why I was there.  She told me more of Levi's story, thanked me for my prayers, and left.  I asked God to somehow let me know what happened to little Levi and I continued to pray for him.

Doug and the kids got to the hospital around 2:00 (with my list of supplies, thankfully), and then my mom called me from the front desk needing the secret code to get it.  I had forgotten all about giving it to her earlier.  Thankfully Doug had it written down in his pocket since my paper was back in the room.  Within a few minutes she joined us.

After only a few more minutes the doctor came out to tell us that surgery went well but that his appendix was, in fact, perforated.  He flushed out Alex's belly really well, but we would need to stay for 5 days of antibiotics.  He also told us that Alex had a tube in his nose that was draining the yucky stuff from his belly.  After another 15 minutes or so Doug and I were allowed to go back to recovery to see him.  He was still out of it, so he didn't really even know we were there.  He was the only patient in the whole huge recovery room, which was really strange.  The nurse gave us a couple stickers for him and we headed up to his room.  Doug walked down to get the kids and Gram so they could join us.

We got settled in, visited for a bit while Alex slept, then Pastor Dick called for the secret code.  He was up in the room with us in a matter of minutes.  I chuckled when Pastor walked in the room and said, "Wow, deja vu all over again, huh?"  He was here visiting us two and a half years ago when Keira's appendix ruptured.  After a short visit he prayed for us, gave Alex a prayer card, and headed out.

Keira was being a little nurse maid while here.  She kept asking Alex if he needed anything, holding his hand, and rubbing his head.  She's a good big sister.

I was excited to be able to finally take a shower now that Doug brought some things from home.  So while they were here, I freshened up.  It is amazing how something we take for granted, like a simple shower, can make such a difference.

Later in the day on Sunday after everyone left, Audrye (yes, that is how she spells her name) our daytime nurse noticed that the nose tube wasn't draining well so an X-ray was ordered.  They did it right here in the room.  It showed that the tube wasn't deep enough so they had to push it down farther.  When they did, instead of going down more into his stomach, it coiled in the back of his throat.  He was screaming, crying, and choking.  It was horrible.  Audrye pulled the tube out completely then.

Alex slept a good part of the day.  Probably exhausted from the surgery and the anesthesia.  And I'm sure he was glad to get that tube out.

I do remember carrying him back and forth to the bathroom about 800 times that day.  My back is still hurting.  I plan to go to the chiropractor as soon as we get home.

I'll write some more tomorrow.  It has been a long day (up early today for a procedure), so I'm off to try to sleep.  Ha!  :)

(And I have no photo for Sunday.  Doug brought my camera but I must not have gotten it out.  Nor did I use my cell phone.  Oh well.)


Heidi said...

:( I'm sorry to hear what Alex has been through. It's good you knew the signs though! I was thinking, "How did she know? I'd think it was the stomach flu!" I'm keeping on praying!

The Shades of Pink said...

Oh I am so glad he's doing better now. Poor little guy. I hope you can get your back straightened out soon and Alex is back to his typical self!

karren said...

I'm so sorry for what you have had to go through but I hope that recovery is going well now, and he will feeling great in no time. Take care of that back.