Hello! Welcome to my little piece of the interwebs. I'm glad you stopped by! My page is currently under construction. A work in progress, shall we say. So please excuse the mess. :)

Please let me know you were here by leaving a comment. That way I can return the visit! And if you'd like to grab my blog button, scroll down to the bottom of the page.

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

First day of school

Earlier I showed you the photos we took during our traditional day-before-school-starts photo session.  We had beautiful weather and weren't rushed.  We could take our time and explore. 

The first morning of school was not that way.  At all.  We weren't super rushed or anything.  But the weather was not great.  Rain, rain, and more rain.

I got up to see Keira before she left.  She leaves a bit too early for me.  :)  She was okay with me not taking any pictures this morning because it was so dark and gloomy.  I wished her a good day and went back to bed for a little while.  I should have just stayed up though because I didn't fall back to sleep.

The boys were mostly pretty easy going this morning.  Excited and nervous about a new school year.  New teachers.  New classes.   Neither wanted to eat breakfast.  Alex was insisting on wearing jeans, a long-sleeved shirt, and a sweater vest.  He wanted to look nice on his first day.  After much convincing that the school was going to be hot (I was just there yesterday delivering teacher gifts - it was HOT!), he agreed to change into a short-sleeved shirt.

I packed his lunch and we walked down to the bus stop.  It wasn't raining when we walked out of the house, but a few minutes after standing in the driveway, it started raining lightly.  None of us wanted to walk back to the house to get an umbrella, so we just got rained on.  :)

I managed to get the boys to be still for a few seconds so I could take pictures, which they didn't understand because we had just taken pictures yesterday.  Geez, you'd think they would know by now that mom likes to take pictures.  A lot.

They were both giving me their best fake smiles.  Especially Nick.  What is up with that?  :)

However when I photographed them separately, I got some real smiles and silliness.  That's more like it.


The bus was about 10 minutes late, which means we stood down there in the rain for about 25 minutes.  At least the driver stopped to pick the boys up this year.  Last year we got missed and I had to drive the boys to school, which really bummed Alex out because he was looking forward to riding the "big bus" to and from school for the first time.

Once I got everyone off to school, I loaded up my car with hampers and baskets of dirty laundry and headed to the laundromat.  Thankfully it wasn't busy at all.  The rain may have had something to do with that.  I have spent the rest of my day drying and folding clothes.  And I'm not done yet.  I'll probably be up until 2 a.m. drying clothes.  Oy!

Hopefully the well-drilling folks will call soon and be able to offer us some possible solutions to our water problem.  (Doug said they were supposed to call Tuesday or Wednesday.  Didn't happen.)  I'd rather get public water but for whatever reason, we haven't had that option out here yet.

In the meantime I'll just keep praying that the water doesn't shut off while I'm showering.  :)

All three kids came home on time after having pretty good days.  Keira only has one teacher that she's not crazy about.  Probably because she assigned her homework on the first day of school.  :)  Nick is still skeptical about his teacher.  And Alex had the greatest day ever!  Of course, he says that all the time.

Little by Little


Tamar SB said...

Sounds like a great day, aside from the homework (-:
Here's to a great year!

Laura said...

I always love seeing pics of kids getting on and off school buses. I'll never have one of those with my kids because where we live they will NEVER get a bus. Boo.

Sarah Halstead said...

Great shots!

Kim Cunningham said...

Sounds like a great first day, all in all. They boys looks cute, fake smile and all. It's hard to relax when you are filled with first day jitters. I'm so sorry to hear of your water problems! The laundromat is no fun, but thankful you could take on that task alone while the kids were off to school. Hope it gets solved soon!